Gigs & livestreams
- Tues Aug 9, 8.30pm: Lifeboat, Market St, Margate
- Weds Aug 10, 1pm: Chapel, Albion St, Broadstairs (Broadstairs Folk Week)
- Thurs Aug 11, 9pm: Facebook livestream https://www.facebook.com/martin.mcneill.710/
- Weds Aug 17, 7.30pm: Lorna & Lottie’s cafe/bar, Community Centre, Elm Road, Leigh-on-Sea – with Tim Huskisson (piano). £5 on door
- Thurs July 18, 9pm: Facebook livestream https://www.facebook.com/martin.mcneill.710/
- Sat Aug 20, 2pm: Blues at Barleylands, Barleylands Club, Barleylands Road, Billericay – full Bottleneck Blues Band (West Weston on harmonica, Roy Webber drums, JJ bass)
- Tues Aug 23, 8pm: Hoy at Anchor Folk Club, Royal British Legion, 7 Northview Drive, Westcliff SS0 9NG
- Thurs Aug 25, 9pm: Facebook livestream https://www.facebook.com/martin.mcneill.710/
- Fri Aug 26, 8pm: Ship, Rye (Rye Jazz & Blues Fest) https://ryejazz.com/Programme/617-/Martin-McNeill-Solo-Blues
Contact Martin with inquiries about bookings or CD sales:
Award-winning bottleneck bluesman
Instrumentalist of the year: 2022 GSMC Music Awards
Shortlisted for album of the year: 2020 UK Blues Awards
Martin McNeill is a slide guitarist and singer rooted in traditional blues styles and influenced by vintage soul, jazz and gospel.
Martin plays as a solo act at venues including London’s Ain’t Nothing But Blues Bar and events such as the Rye Jazz & Blues Festival and Dart Festival.
He hosts blues nights at Lorna & Lottie’s cafe/bar at Leigh-on-Sea Community Centre on the first and third Wednesday of each month, playing with an invited guest.
He leads the band Martin McNeill’s Bottleneck Blues for occasional appearances at clubs and pubs.
As well as gigging, he connects with blues fans across the UK and internationally through his weekly Thursday Blues Club online live sessions.
Martin often gigs with harmonica player West Weston and pianist Tim Huskisson – plus drummer Roy Webber and double bassist JJ Zarbo on band gigs.
Weston and Huskisson are favourites at the Lorna and Lottie’s sessions. Other guests include Connor Selby, Ben Tyzack, Dave Ferra and Ramon Goose.
The Bottleneck Blues band forged a strong reputation as one of Essex’s leading acts through 13 years of regular sessions at Southend’s famous Railway Hotel (sadly now closed).
Martin was named instrumentalist of the year in the 2022 GSMC awards. The scheme is organised by music promoter Graham Steel to recognise grassroots music acts. Martin’s regular livestreams (9pm UK time every Thursday) were cited as a major factor in the award success.
Martin’s CD Cat Squirrel was shortlisted in the 2020 UK Blues Awards after receiving excellent reviews and strong airplay on blues radio shows.
His latest CD, Sweet Soul Slide, highlights the more mellow side of Martin’s repertoire, featuring classic tunes such as Dock of the Bay, Rainy Night in Georgia, Dark End of the Street, My Girl and Wind Cries Mary.